Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Where's the Beef?

Our local Safeway just reopened this month. A year ago it was a ghetto store that was predictably empty. The old store was torn down and completely rebuilt with a new upscale feel. It's now packed. I wish they had left the damned thing alone.

There have been a few improvements I suppose; my favorite part of the store is its new underground parking. Most people park above ground, so it makes me feel like I've discovered some secret passageway into the store. Goose likes pushing the buttons on the elevator, so that's also a plus.

I went shopping today. I wasn't planning on going back to the store so soon; I try to limit my outings lately (see previous post). But I was beguiled by the lure of $1 boxes of Kix. Goose could live on Kix. What am I saying? Goose does live on Kix (with a side of yogurt).

Goose talked me into getting one of those new giant carts with a toddler car in front. This was taking a big risk. Last time I swore I would never let her talk me into one again (astounding resolve on my part, I know). Goose never has the patience to stay seated the entire time and I end up weaving a semi-truck through the produce trying to catch a wandering toddler without hitting any unsuspecting bystanders.

These carts seem to have been designed by childless and/or male engineers. They fit four children: two in the car/firetruck/police cruiser and two in the double-wide basket. If any poor soul is forced to shop with four children small enough to need a ride, they are going to need much more help than little steering wheels can provide. Also, the firetruck must have a certain amount of weight in the seat in order for the cart to drive "appropriately". Not having that weight (i.e. toddler jumping out) is like going from a cart with one bad wheel to one with only one good wheel.

I decided to experiment. If Goose (26 lbs) weighs enough to bring the front wheels down, perhaps putting Little E (21 lbs) - who is not capable of jumping out - in the car with her would be a good insurance policy. That is if they didn't poke one another's eyes out. After seeing Little E get buckled in, Goose was even more excited for the ride. I smiled - this just might work!

They were giggling by the time we reached the cereal aisle.

The Kix on sale was, of course, the smallest variety available. The thing is the big box of Kix isn't that big. I could probably eat the small box in one sitting. But then, I am nursing. I can't complain; heck they were a buck. But, it strikes me odd that as the grocery carts reach gargantuan proportions, the cereal boxes shrink.

I don't mind companies offering smaller package options. Perhaps some people prefer only having a small box of Kix on hand. That's their prerogative. What bothers me is that the boxes shrink while the prices stay they same. It's like a sneaky way to raise the price of a product. Girl Scout Cookies have been doing this for years. I'm just waiting for the year when I get a box of three Samoas.

The one I was most dismayed about today though was my Double-Stuffed Oreos. I bought two bags of Oreos today - one regular, one double-stuffed. I remember when the double-stuffed first came out, the cookies were enormous - the shortening and sugar filling never ended. The double-stuffed definitely contains more filling than the regular Oreos, but I swear that both have decreased in filling. Perhaps more appropriate names would be regular-stuffed and half-stuffed.

I guess I really should be too concerned -the box is the same size less filling means more cookies with which to bribe Goose to stay in that cart's firetruck.

3 comments:

  1. A few thoughts:
    1. sounds like a seinfeld episode to me - at least the oreo part
    2. if that curse word was necessary, then i'm doing pretty well on this whole "only buy what you need" challenge
    3. MMmmmmmm....somoas
    4. i liked this one - more positive than the last

    ReplyDelete
  2. both hilarious! i have to admit that i am bragging about you to my friends...i've sent your link to many of them who are mothers and already they are appreciating it! they say that it is nice to know that others feel the smae as they do!!! so you are on to something, i think!

    keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed you braved the huge shopping cart; I don't even like the regular sized ones!

    mmmm...oreos...here's a thought: make your own from the double stuffed by opening two and sticking all the frosting in one cookie. Then give the leftover un-frosting ones to...well it doesn't really matter. Who needs oreos without that cream stuff??

    ReplyDelete