Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Germ-a-phobe's Panacea

I went to London once. When I was there I used something I had never seen in the U.S. : a pay toilet. It was a free standing booth in a park somewhere. I used it more out of novelty than need. When I inserted the coins, the door opened and I was admitted into a pristine lavatory. After I left, the apparently water-tight door shut behind me and the booth cleaned and disinfected itself using a series of strategically placed jets. Doing business there was a pleasure (especially compared to some of the non-pay toilets I had visited during my trip). So wonderful is the self-cleaning toilet, that even DC metro has invested in a pot or two, which you can read about here.

Since that time, I have often daydreamed what life would be like if that pay-toilet technology were more pervasive. How about, for instance, having one installed in your own home? Who doesn't hate slapping on those long rubber gloves for a good scrubbing of the john? But why stop at the toilet? This self-cleaning concept could be used for any number of things. A car. A kitchen. A dining area. A grocery cart handle. According to my husband, one of the Honda Element's best selling points is that you can spray it out with a hose after the kids goo up the floor. (You can't really - unless you like shorting out your dash electronics - but, it is easy to sweep with a broom and mop.) Of course, the expense of the installation and maintenance of these home self-cleaning fixtures wouldn't be worth the benefit.




Nope, I was wrong; I'd pay for that.

4 comments:

  1. What a cute picture of him. He sure is gooped up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA! I look forward to seeing this face anytime I want to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out the Dymaxion bathroom from Fuller. Why this isn't standard in house construction is beyond me (unless it is cost...).

    Google "Dymaxion Bathroom" and hit the first link. The smallest concave radius of curvature is 4 inches or so, so you could probably mop everything. Certainly hosing it out would be an obvious option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a blog?! You are a dork for never telling me. I can already tell this is going to be hours-on-end of reading pleasure. That is, if it's anything like your facebook posts, which I can already tell it is.

    ReplyDelete