Friday, April 22, 2011

The power of CAT

Poor kid number 2.  I pity you.

First of all, you, as kid Numero Dos gets squat alone time with Mom.  Numero Uno not only experienced complete domination of Mommy's attention for a couple years, but having become accustomed to such treatment still requires significant one-on-one time.  I think Goose had more books read to her in her first year than I've read to you in all your years combined.

Secondly, Mom is less enthusiastic about every new kid #2 does.  "Walking?  Great.  Now I have to bolt all the cabinets and get out the gates before you kill yourself."  "Do you really HAVE to feed yourself with the spoon?  You know I'm really much neater."  (These are never vocalized of course.  Really! What kind of mother do you think I am?!!?)

Thirdly, you get used everything.  Even if you are the first boy.  Why do you need tons of superhero action figures when we already have a bajillion barbies?  Use your imagination. Sheesh.

Fourthly, but probably not lastly, Mom sometime just forgets she has to teach you how to do stuff.  (and may be just a little less patient with you when she does remember)  Like how to write your name.  "What?!  You don't know how to write an R? huh.  I guess I haven't ever helped you do that one, have I?  oops."

But, the advantage of being the second child is that occasionally - if you bide your time, keeping a low profile and watching your words carefully - you can blow Mom's socks off by suddenly and casually revealing how much you've absorbed despite her benign neglect.

For instance asking nonchalantly while driving by a construction site "Hey Mom, why is that a "cat" truck?"

Bwaa?  You can read?!?

Ok, yes, it was just C-A-T.  And you were practically born watching LeapFrog videos.  But you really got my attention with that one.  So, I decided to test you.

"Little E, which word says 'ball'?"

However, you, my little cunning one, refused to be so obviously evaluated.  I know that you know you are pointing to the wrong word.  You thought you could fool me, but that smirk betrays you.  You know 'ball' and you know you aren't pointing at it.  Clown.   I've got you figured out.

And I withdraw my pity.  You don't need it, you're doing just fine.  Don't you see now, this was all part of my plan to teach you self-sufficiency?

1 comment:

  1. Now imagine poor numero 6! And you thought I was spoiled? Pshhh! They paid for me to travel in my later years to make up for the years of neglect. On another note, studies show that first born children usually have a higher IQ than the rest, but seeing as Goose is already techinically a genius, you don't need to worry.

    ReplyDelete